The cheapest auto insurance in Texas for 2021
Texas has the second highest number of licensed drivers, just behind California. In 2019, there were more than 17,822,760 licensed drivers in the state. This means that the Texas auto insurance market is one of the largest in the country.
When it comes to auto insurance, there are both advantages and disadvantages of living in a populated state. The average cost of auto insurance in Texas is $ 524 for minimum insurance and $ 1,823 for full coverage.. Drivers in the state have more options for auto insurance, but it can be difficult to find an affordable policy. If you are shopping around for cheap car insurance in Texas, there are a few companies that stand out with affordable rates.
The cheapest auto insurance in Texas
The popular phrase “everything is bigger in Texas” can also be said of auto insurance rates in the state. We researched pricing data from Quadrant Information Services 2021 to determine which companies offer the best rates. The chart below shows the five cheapest auto insurance companies in Texas.
|Insurance company||Average annual minimum coverage||Average annual full coverage|
|Geico||$ 391||$ 1,339|
|USAA||$ 395||$ 1,344|
|White Mountains Insurance Group||$ 424||$ 1,533|
|Fred loya||$ 449||$ 2,889|
|In all the countries||$ 499||$ 1,362|
Geico’s slogan, “15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on auto insurance,” is potentially an accurate statement. The company offers some of the cheapest auto insurance rates of any provider in Texas at averages of $ 391 for minimum coverage and $ 1,339 for full coverage. However, Geico’s main selling point is the price.
Many Geico customers can save money with discounts on vehicle safety, such as daytime running lights, air bags, anti-lock brakes, or an anti-theft device. There are also potential discounts for good drivers, good students, military personnel, federal employees, and bundling policies.
Learn more: Geico Insurance review.
If you know anything about the USAA, you know that the company only offers insurance to active-duty military personnel, veterans, and their eligible family members. Not everyone is eligible for USAA insurance, but those who do can expect to pay below average rates.
USAA customers have access to customizable coverage, excellent customer service, and a variety of discounts for additional savings. Drivers can also save money by being a safe driver, enrolling in a defensive driving course, insuring a new car, being a loyal customer, parking their car at a military base, and storing their car. car during deployment.
Learn more: USAA Insurance Review.
White Mountains Insurance Group
White Mountains Insurance Group offers auto insurance through Esurance, an online company. This can be convenient for drivers, as you can contact Esurance 24/7 by email or by calling. Esurance also offers a coverage advisor tool that can take your information and recommend coverage options based on your needs. White Mountains Insurance Group offers the basic elements of coverage and a few unique options such as uninsured motorist protection and medical expense reimbursements.
White Mountains Insurance Group clients also have access to educational resources online and through the blog. Drivers may be able to save money by reuniting, owning a home, taking a driving course, and more.
In addition to offering some of the cheapest auto insurance premiums, drivers who have bad credit or traffic violations may want to consider reviewing Fred Loya’s auto insurance policies. Fred Loya is known to provide minimal auto insurance coverage for high risk drivers, especially those with bad credit or with a history of DUIs or traffic violations.
Fred Loya offers common insurance coverage options, in addition to add-on options such as rental car, deficiency and physical damage coverage and convenient locations at Walmart stores and local grocery stores. Customers may be able to apply a wide variety of discounts to further reduce premiums such as multiple cars, locks, seat belts, driver education discounts and more.
Learn more: Review of Fred Loya Insurance.
In all the countries
Nationwide makes the list of cheapest auto insurance in Texas because of its innovative programs that save you money, such as the Nationwide SmartRide program. By signing up for SmartRide, you can benefit from discounts through the usage-based telematics program that follows your driving.
Another unique way to save with Nationwide is Vanishing DeductibleÂ®, which reduces your full coverage deductible by $ 100 every year you don’t have an accident or file a claim (up to $ 500). and that you meet all the eligibility criteria. Nationwide additional discounts include accident forgiveness, multiple policies, gap insurance, student voucher, anti-theft equipment, and ease of payment.
Learn more: Nationwide Insurance Review.
Affordable coverage for Texas drivers
The state of Texas requires all drivers to purchase a minimum amount of auto insurance. No matter how often you drive, you must have the required amount of insurance and keep proof of insurance in your car at all times. Requirements include:
- Liability coverage of $ 30,000 per person
- Liability coverage of $ 60,000 per accident
- Liability coverage of $ 25,000 per accident
Although Texas is not considered a no-fault state, every auto insurance policy in Texas automatically includes Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This is not a legal requirement, so drivers who wish to waive their PIP coverage can submit their request in writing to their provider.
Buying the minimum amount of coverage required in Texas is not the best way to save money because if you have an accident you may have to pay a lot more than what the additional coverage would have cost.
How To Get Cheap Auto Insurance In Texas
Getting cheap car insurance in Texas is easier than you might think. Here are some ways to reduce your rate:
- Compare the prices: Before choosing an insurance company, shop around and get several quotes to see which provider can offer the lowest rate and the most discounts.
- Compare suppliers: Take the information you received from your quotes to compare prices from each insurer for the same type of product. Remember to research customer reviews of the company and how they handle customer issues and complaints.
- Increase your deductible: Increasing your deductible from $ 250 to $ 1,000 could save you money on your monthly premiums. Make sure you can afford the highest deductible for a claim before you increase it too much.
- Improve Your Credit Score: Insurance companies use your credit score to calculate your premium. The higher your credit score, the lower your premium will be.
- Pay your premium in advance: Most insurance companies offer a discount if you can pay your annual premium in full, rather than in monthly installments.
- Take a defensive driving course: See if your insurance company will give you a discount for completing an approved defensive driving course.
- Take advantage of other discounts: There are other discounts available besides defensive driving lessons or paying your premiums in advance. You can benefit from a discount because of your age, your job, your student status or simply because you change auto insurer.
- Upgrade your vehicle: Most insurance companies offer a discount if your car has certain safety features. Consider installing an anti-theft device or switching to anti-lock brakes to save money on your premium.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best auto insurance in Texas?
There are dozens of insurance companies that serve Texas drivers, and there isn’t one company in particular that stands out as the best. At the end of the day, the best auto insurance company in Texas is different for every driver. Drivers who want the lowest fare might be happy with Geico, while a driver who wants the best customer service might be more happy with USAA or Progressive.
Is Texas a Flawless State?
No, Texas is considered a failed state. However, auto insurance policies in Texas automatically include PIP coverage, which is generally only required for drivers in responsible states. You can decline PIP coverage in Texas, but you will need to submit your intention in writing to your insurance company.
Is Auto Insurance Required in Texas?
Yes, auto insurance is legally required in the state of Texas. Any driver who does not have the minimum amount of insurance required can be fined, lose their license and even get their car crammed, especially for a second or third offense. Each driver must have a minimum of $ 30,000 in liability insurance per person, $ 60,000 in accidental bodily liability insurance and $ 25,000 in accidental property damage liability insurance.
Bankrate uses Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all zip codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, DC Rates shown are based on a 40 year old male and female driver with a driving record clean, good credit and the following. coverage limits:
- $ 100,000 of civil liability per person
- Civil liability of $ 300,000 per accident
- Civil liability of $ 50,000 per accident
- $ 100,000 of uninsured bodily injury by a motorist per person
- $ 300,000 in uninsured bodily injury by a motorist per accident
- $ 500 collision deductible
- Full $ 500 deductible
To determine the minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets the requirements of each state. Our example drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week, and travel 12,000 miles a year.
These are sample rates and should only be used for comparison purposes. Your quotes may be different.